Donations Sought for Community Service Night
On Tuesday, December 10, Fremont Middle School will be hosting a Community Service Night themed “Believe There Is Good in the World.” There will be a variety of service opportunities available throughout the building. The sixth grade team will be sponsoring a local group of women that create quilts and baby care kits for impoverished communities abroad. Additionally, we are collecting needed items for two animal shelters/rescues to aid with their mission of helping animals in our community. Our goal is to support these groups with supplies. This presentation: Community Service Night Presentation details the line-up for the evening.
Prior to our event on December 10, we would like to start gathering materials. Below is a list of what we need - anything you can help with would be greatly appreciated. Please note that items will be gladly accepted the night of the event.
Items for making quilts:
- Sizable pieces of fabric to be cut into squares - each square needs to be a minimum of 10” x 10” - cotton and cotton blends - any color - solid or print . (We will cut the fabric during the event)
- Large pieces of material used for quilt backs - it takes 5 yards of the same fabric to make a back for a quilt.
- Sheets are a great resource for quilt backs: twin, full, queen and king flat and fitted sheets are the perfect size for the backs. Pillow cases can be utilized too.
- Fillers for the quilts - we do use quilt batting, mattress pads (not too heavy) and blankets. (No sleeping bags please)
- Items can be gently used and please ensure that there are no stains or holes in fabrics for the quilts. Please do not donate items with any religious symbols or messages or any items decorated with a U.S. flag, patriotic or military symbols, or references to the armed forces, including camouflage.
Items we are asking you to donate for Baby Care Kits are listed below (everything in our kits can be gently used, clean, no stains or holes).
- Gently used t-shirts (cotton adult and/or large children’s sizes) - the t-shirts will be cut up and made into diapers
- Sleepers, tee shirts, jackets or sweaters are to be 6 months to 24 months in size
- 2 lightweight cotton t-shirts or onesies.
- 2 long or short sleeved gowns or sleepers
- 2 receiving blankets, medium weight., cotton or flannel, knitted or crocheted at least 36" square
- 2 pairs of socks
- 1 hand towel
- 2 bath-size bars of GENTLE soap, in its original wrapping
- 2 diaper pins OR 2 large metal safety pins
- 4 cloth diapers - these will be made from the donated t-shirts
- 1 jacket, sweater or sweatshirt with a hood or baby cap - donations of 3 or 4 ply yarn are appreciated - this will be used to crochet the jackets/sweaters
The following is a list of needs for Wagging Hearts & Orphans of the Storm:
- Collars (x-small – x-large)
- 6′ leashes
- Dog toys, bones, chew bones, treats, balls
- Cats beds, treats, toys (including scratching posts)
- Cat transport cages
- Dog gates
- Dog beds
- Dry/Wet dog and puppy food
- Dry/Wet cat and kitten food
- Human baby food (meat based only - for sick cats)
- Cat litter
- Baking soda (to control cat litter odor)
- Sturdy dog and cat combs and brushes
- Blankets and comforters (During the winter months every dog goes to bed with a blankie –not too large or heavy as we wash and dry every blanket daily)
- Towels (Next time you buy new towels or bedspread, don’t throw out the old ones — bring them to us. Your old comforter can truly be a comfort to a shelter animal.)
- Water & food bowls
- Cash donations will also be accepted - we will purchase items for Wagging Hearts & Orphans of the Storm
Any/all donations can be dropped off at your earliest convenience or donations can be brought in the night of the event. Please contact any of the sixth grade teachers if you have any questions - thank you!